If you find yourself in Malibu for 24 hours and you are wondering how to pack all that Malibu has to offer in a day, you should keep on reading.
DURING THE DAY
- Transport: as in pretty much all of California, there is no public transport so I would suggest renting a car to get around as quick and as inexpensive possible. We rented a convertible Ford Mustang which we found was a very popular car to rent as we bumped into so many of them. It was great to ride along the coastline of Malibu with the top down and less expensive than taking a taxi all the time.
- Hotel: we checked in at The Surfrider Malibu hotel which is a cute boutique Hotel right on the highway along the coastline which was great as it was easy to get in and out. The hotel only has a few rooms and has the surfer, Malibu style which we loved. They had overnight parking which was not free but not too expensive. In addition, there is a nice rooftop terrace overlooking the ocean.
- Lunch: fortunately across the road from our hotel was one of the most famous restaurants for lunch in Malibu called Malibu Farm. It is a very cute relaxed restaurant on the pier that does fresh, organic and local food. They have both a restaurant and café. Their aesthetic is really nice and the view of the ocean is beautiful.
- Beaches: apparently the most beautiful beach is El Matador beach. I can confirm that it is breathtaking with several cliffside views and a really nice beach. There is a parking lot but on the day that we went they were filming a movie there so we had to park on the street which worked out fine. It is beautiful to rest and take some pictures during the day or the watch the sunset at the end of the day.
- Shopping: you should head to Malibu Country Mart which is an outdoor mall with boutique stores that you will not find anywhere else. Malibu village is another great spot for shopping aswell as for some food.
- Other activities: Visit the Getty house, hike through Malibu Creek State Park, go to Point Dume and Zuma beach.
DURING THE NIGHT
- Sunset: if you are a fan of watching sunsets I would suggest choosing your favourite beach to watch it from (suggestions above such as Point Dume, El Matador etc..) maybe you can even bring a blanket and some drinks to make it extra special. Otherwise, there is the Sunset Restaurant on Point Dume which offers a nice ambiance, views and drinks.
- Dinner: we decided to go to the famous Nobu Malibu restaurant as it has the reputation to be one of the most beautiful Nobus in the world. The location was indeed incredible as it was overlooking the beach. We were not able to make any reservations as they were booked for 3 months so big tip RESERVE IN ADVANCE. Nevertheless, we decided to go there which was great because we still ended up having a nice dinner at the bar with still a great view. They have table both inside and outside so I would suggest asking specifically for a table outside to get a better feel of the beautiful location.
- Drinks: if you are feeling tired you can get a great drink at Nobu after dinner but if you are feeling adventurous and want to explore more places in Malibu there is the Moonshadows Blue Lounge which is a cool bar with again a beautiful ocean view, but if you are feeling more casual there is Duke’s Barefoot Bar with its ocean facing patio.