Picture via coconutoil.com
So… this is my new summer love, I had heard a lot about coconut oil but I’m always skeptical with “home remedies” so I mostly stayed away until the day my mom came home talking about how amazing it was. I also realized that my sister had been using coconut oil for a long time and I felt kinda stupid for not trying it. Coconut oil is amazing because first of all it’s such a cheap and easy to find product ( any grocery stores) and it’s all natural.
Coconut oil is a natural antibacterial and antifungal with amazing moisturizing benefits. It also have anti-inflammatory properties due to its large amount of antioxidants.
Here are different beauty uses:
- Moisturizer: I know you can basically use any type of oil to moisturize your body but I personally don’t think smelling like olive oil is very pleasing. Coconut oil on the other hand…makes you smell like you’re a delicious tropical cocktail. What I also prefer with coconut oil is that it has a low solidification point, so if you pop it in your fridge you will get a balm consistency which is easier to apply than straight up oil. Coconut oil has natural saturated fats and fatty acids which repairs the skin and traps water.
- Makeup remover: The most effective and gentle make up remover you’ll ever try. It is very effective, even on a full face of makeup and you don’t feel that tight and dry feeling you get when you normally take off all your makeup. This is especially great for eye makeup because it is so gentle and will not damage the sensitive skin around your eyes.
- Under eye cream: I’m getting tired of having 1000 different creams for different parts of my body (even though I still love it…) so I’ve lately just been slapping coconut oil around my eyes after moisturizing my body and it’s amazing. Like I said before it has anti-inflammatory properties which is great for reducing puffy eyes.
- Hair mask: Slather your hair in coconut oil and leave it on for about 15 to 20 min than just normally wash your hair. Your hair should feel luscious and have an amazing shine.
- Hair oil: The tip of our hair is usually the part that always is dry and that’s never a good look so coconut oil should take care of that.
- Lip balm: Pretty obvious…and it’s eatable.
- Cuticle softener: I’ve always used oil on my cuticles but coconut oil is not too greasy, so I can still do normal things without having everything slip out of my hand.
- Shaving balm: I hate shaving foams. They are always big and bulky and annoying to get the foam out. Plus they are in aluminum which (they really are genius) if you leave in your shower will rust…Coconut gives you a very close shave and your skin feels like straight up baby skin afterwards.
- Frizz tamer: Just apply a light (I insist on light) dab of coconut oil on your frizz and bye bye…
- After wax: So I love waxing…prefer it from shaving. However, after you’ve waxed you’re all sticky and have residue wax all over you and I know they give you finishing wipes but I find that there’s never enough. So why not kill time by just slathering on coconut oil which will take off the wax left and at the same time moisturize.