One of the challenges I had to face with living on my own was having to cook for myself. Obviously, I was looking for meals that were both easy, quick but most importantly healthy…Here are a couple of tips and meal ideas:
- Salads are your best friend. I recommend buying fresh salad along with some kale. Wash the whole of your salad and kale and store them in a container in your fridge for other days. You can add all kinds of things to your salad like different types of healthy oils, grains, nuts, freshly chopped vegetables etc…No need for cooking anything which cuts back the preparation time.
- Along with your salad I recommend preparing a big amount of your own salad sauce and to put in a container in your fridge. Oils and sauces last a very long time and that way when you’re in a rush everything is already made. Just don’t buy those already made salad sauce in the grocery store as they are full of conservatives.
- I really like tortillas as they are so easy and tasty to make. I just cook one tortilla in a pan with some oil and add cheese along with chopped up vegetables.
- As a vegetarian, I found that the soy sausage are really tasty and so easy to cook. I find them at whole food and buy them with puff pastry which I just wrap the sausage around it and put it in the oven and have my own vegetarian hot-dogs.
- Potatoes and sweet potatoes are also a very good choice. They take a bit of time to boil in water ( I boil them in water so I don’t have to saturate them with oil and cook them in it which is very unhealthy) but again you can make loads at once and they store in the fridge very well. Once boiled I roast them a little in a pan with oil and salt.
- Quinoa is something I use to hate but now love. It is super healthy and lasts a very long time and you can eat it on its own or add to your salads.
- I also like to cook pasta and store the remaining in my fridge and then add them cold to my salads.
Hope those ideas were useful, I think to be way the eat healthy is just to meal prep. Don’t worry there is nothing wrong with being lazy and ordering take out once in a while!